Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What is Toxic to Dogs? Common Household Hazards

Keeping your furry friend healthy is your top priority. Part of that responsibility is keeping toxic substances well out of your dog's reach. To help you keep your pup safe and healthy our Albany vets share a list of some common household items that are hazardous to your dog's health.

What substances are poisonous to dogs?

Most of the poisoning cases our Albany vets see are the result of pets getting into substances around the house that simply haven't been stored safely, or that pet parents didn't know are bad for dogs. Certain foods, medications and substances commonly found around our homes, may seem harmless but can be lethal if ingested by our four-legged friends. 

To help you keep your beloved pet safe and healthy, here are just a few of the most common household items poisonous to dogs:


It is essential to be vigilant when it comes to keeping medications out of your dog's reach. Over-the-counter medications including painkillers and anti inflammatory medications as well as prescription medications can be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs. Medications that are toxic to dogs include (but are not limited to):

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Ibuprofen (Advil)
  • Aspirin
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
  • Indomethacin & Other NSAIDs
  • NSAIDs
  • Xanax, Ambien, Valium & Other Sleeping Pills
  • ACE Inhibitors & Other Blood Pressure Meds
  • ADHD Medications
  • Beta Blockers
  • Adderall
  • Many Herbal & Nutraceutical Products

People Food

Our four-legged friends have different metabolisms to us, which means that many foods that are perfectly safe and enjoyable for us can be dangerous, or even fatal, for dogs. If your dog consumes any of the following foods call your veterinarian right away for help:

  • Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum)
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes
  • Raisins 
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Alcohol 

Veterinary Products

Medications and prevention products play a key role in keeping your pet healthy, but the mistaken consumption or over consumption of these products can be fatal for our canine companions. Ensure that these items are kept out of your dog's reach and only used as directed by your veterinarian. Veterinary products that can be poisonous if consumed or over-consumed include:

  • Painkillers
  • Dewormers
  • Flea & Tick Treatments
  • Heartworm Prevention Medications

Household Products

There are a vast number of chemicals stored in most people's homes. While these chemicals perform a wide variety of useful tasks most are extremely dangerous to the health of our pets. The consumption of these substances can quickly be fatal for our four-legged friends. Safely store all household chemicals but especially:

  • Antifreeze
  • Paint Thinner
  • Household Cleaners
  • Swimming Pool Chemicals
  • Lawn & Garden Chemicals
  • Toilet Cleaners

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Rat poison and insecticides come in a variety of forms and can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for. If you are dealing with rodents or other critters that are invading your home, be sure that your pet can't get into the substances you put down to deal with the problem, and store these products up high or in a an area out of your pup's reach. Some common chemicals that fall into this category include:

  • Warfarin & Other Anticoagulant Rodenticides
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Rodenticides
  • Vengeance & Bromethalin Rodenticides
  • Organophosphates and Carbamates
  • Pyrethroids
  • Metaldehyde


The list of common household and garden plants that are toxic to our four-legged friends is extensive, and we couldn't possibly list them all. Nonetheless, a few that you should avoid having in your home or garden include:

  • Azaleas
  • Rhododendrons
  • Tulips
  • Daffodils
  • Sago palms 
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Philodendron
  • Peace lily 

What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?

Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Call Us:  (229) 435-1431

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:

  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhoea
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heart beat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Not all things toxic to dogs are listed in this post. If your dog has ingested something that you aren't sure about, contact our Albany vets right away, or reach out to your nearest animal emergency hospital.

New Patients Welcome 

Our veterinary team is currently welcoming new patients! Our doors are open to provide preventive care, surgery, boarding and more to new patients. Contact us to book your first appointment.

Contact Us

(229) 435-1431 Contact